Database Problem: "Error-Invalid variant operation"

Get help with installation and running here.

Moderators: DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators

tenix

Database Problem: "Error-Invalid variant operation"

Post by tenix »

Hi there,

I'm having some problems getting data out of an Oracle DB. Whenever I try include a field which is defined as a NUMBER field it returns the error:

"Error-Invalid variant operation"

All other field types seem to work fine, it's just the NUMBER.
I've tried many different connect strings including going through the ODBC source with multiple different drivers. I've also tried using a DRIVEr={...} type connect as wel.

If I query the database using sql-plus it works fine and it's using the same driver.

Any ideas it's making the problem rather useless while it's doing this?

Thanks!
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Post by DataMystic Support »

I think we've answered this via email, but what you need to try is each field in turn to see where the probem is e.g.

select fielda from tablename
then
select fieldb from tablename
etc until you find the errant field. Once you have it, you can exclude it from the query.
tenix

Post by tenix »

I have pegged it down to all fields which are either NUMBER type or DECIMAL.

Unfortunately, the data contained in these fields is important for what I'm working on and I can't afford to exclude that field.

Is there any way to resolve this issue as I'm having serius issues getting things done at the moment?

Cheers.
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Please send an email to support2 @ ... and we'll send you a test version of DataPipe to try and address the problem.
tenix

Post by tenix »

I presume the test version you meant is equivalent to the evaluation version online?? I downloaded the DataPipe Evaluation 3.7 and ran the same query and it gave me the following error.

Unknown Type - 131

Does this help?

Cheers.
tenix

Post by tenix »

Thankyou, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your continuing assistance.

Cheers.
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Hi Glen,

We can reproduce the problem easily enough here now, but the news is not good. The error occurs when the record set is opened - this is even before the columns are traversed to extract the data, so it is buried deep in the internal libraries of our development tool. I don't believe we can work around this error until we move to a newer version.

Even with an ODBC connection (with the setting to always provide a precision) the error still occurs.

Unfortunately you'll have to limit TextPipe to non-Oracle work.