Messing about with Bibles

Get help with installation and running here.

Moderators: DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators

jatt1963

Messing about with Bibles

Post by jatt1963 »

I am a newbie. I am tasked with taking html based Bibles back to text, grooming them and then running a python script on them that reformats the text in html that's friendly to our app. I inherited all of this. I don't know how to edit the python script so I need to change the text files to something the script will accept.

So here is what I face I'll use Genesis for an example. I have to insert at least one blank line between chapters in the right spot and then pick up the book name which in this case is Genesis and append it with the proper chapter number. I just started using TextPipe today. I spent about 3 hours on it and decided to go for help.

Genesis 1

Beginnings

1:1 In the beginning
1:2
1:end of chapter
2:1
2:2

I need it to look like this:

Genesis 1

Beginnings

1:1 In the beginning
1:2
1:end of chapter

Genesis 2

2:1
2:2

and so on for Genesis 3 and forward.
dfhtextpipe

Re: Messing about with Bibles

Post by dfhtextpipe »

I may be able to help you. I've been working with Bible text files for the last 12 months, in connection with the Go Bible application for Java ME mobile phones. SeeI have been making intensive use of bespoke TextPipe Standard filters to prepare Bible source text files to make them suitable as input data for the developer kit Go Bible Creator. If you are interested, please visit the Go Bible Forum. You will find a link in the main page.

Please note that any derivative works you distribute for such Bible files must be only for either public domain texts, or for those for which you have express written permission from the copyright owners.
jatt1963

Re: Messing about with Bibles

Post by jatt1963 »

Very Cool.

I'm checking it out right now.

Thanks,

John