Remove form feed characters

Get help with installation and running here.

Moderators: DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators

Lynn

Remove form feed characters

Post by Lynn »

I have a test file where the last line and the first line of each page read like this:

103 ER8639 LAS VEGAS NV89119
PAGE 2

I would like to remove the form feed (?) character (char 12). I can split the file at that character but I am having trouble removing the character.

Does anyone have any ideas?
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Post by DataMystic Support »

Just type

\f

in the search box.
RDSIDan

Won't remove form feed charcters

Post by RDSIDan »

I'm having a problem removing form feeds. I used the information noted here (seems simple enough), but I can't get it to work.

The trial output looks fine, but the actual file saved still has the form feeds in it. I've even tried replacing the form feeds with something like @@@ and then removing @@@, but the form feeds still end up in the saved output file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Hi Dan,

Is the output file going where you expect it to? Try double-clicking the output filename in the log of the status window.

What are you replacing with? Make sure the replacement is blank.
RDSIDan

Post by RDSIDan »

Simon,

I figured out yesterday that I could replace the Form Feed (\f) with a carrage return (\n) and could get the results I needed.

Today I tried to recreate the problem I had to test out your comments, and it now it works just fine - go figure. I was using the Replace/Find Exactly filter, but then changed the action to 'Remove' instead of just replacing it with a blank.

That's the story of my life, if something breaks, it will only do it when you don't want it to. :?

Thanks,
Dan
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Ok, glad it is resolved. Perhaps your replace field was not blank? You can check this by right-clicking the field and turning on display of special characters.