WordPipe versus Table of Contents

Discuss WordPipe, ExcelPipe and PowerPointPipe. Get help with installation and running, notify us of bugs, request new features and enhancements.

Moderators: DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators

ott739

WordPipe versus Table of Contents

Post by ott739 »

Is there a hidden option to have WordPipe rebuild the Table of Contents after it edits a document (particularly after WordPipe makes the document longer)? At the very least, is there a method to prevent the Table of Contents from being corrupted by WordPipe even when the page count has not changed?

Problem: All of my documents have had the table of contents corrupted.

Details of Corruption: The table of contents end up saying that all sections within the document are on on page '1', '2', or '3', after running the document through WordPipe.

ie. before:
intro.........1
chapter1...2
chapter2...3
chapter3...4

after:
intro.........2
chatper1...2
chapter2...2
chapter3...2

Details of operation performed with WordPipe:

I ran a number of documents through WordPipe, (Evaluation 5.4.3, MSWord 2002) in order to change a few words. The words being replaced are often longer than the replaced words, so the document can end up increasing in page count when increasing the length of words on an almost full page.

I noticed that *all* of my documents, even the ones which did not increase in page lengths, had the table of contents corrupted.
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Post by DataMystic Support »

WordPipe does not corrupt the table of contents, this is Microsoft Word's fault.

Try setting the option to update field codes before save.
ott739

Post by ott739 »

Took a while to test, found the "update field codes", made the change, and things look better now. (First tried 'inside field codes', on tab 2, which made no difference, then I found the "update field codes", on tab 3, which appears to have addressed my issue.)

Sorry to ask so many questions, I like to RTFM, but cannot find a manual, the FAQ does not address this, at least not with a quick search, and I cannot find much in the Help files. I hate 'Help', much rather have a manual, but did notice that the 'Help' pages on regex appear quite good, like a manual.

Thanks,
bob
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Post by DataMystic Support »

Thanks - our online help is designed to be *very* good. Thanks for reading it!