Can't replace a character symbol

Discuss WordPipe, ExcelPipe and PowerPointPipe. Get help with installation and running, notify us of bugs, request new features and enhancements.

Moderators: DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators

cyberdude

Can't replace a character symbol

Post by cyberdude »

I have the following string I am trying to erase for my footers.

n° 66

I have managed to erase the n and 66 but the ° symbol (the degree symbol) is not being picked up by the find.

Any ideas on how I can achieve this?

Thanks
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Post by DataMystic Support »

The easiest way will be to paste it into an Excel spreadsheet in column 1, and the replacement in column 2.

Then get WordPipe to load this Excel spreadsheet as a search/replace list at run time (ie do NOT load it into the GUI because it does not currently support unicode).
cyberdude

Post by cyberdude »

It didn't work. I entered n° 66 in the first column and nothing in the second column of a spreadsheet like you suggested but it still didn't work. I even tried just the ° on its own but that didn't work either.

Am I missing something here? Using word 2000 on XP Pro
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Did you use the Excel spreadsheet in the 'Load from file' field? NOT the 'Import Search/Replace list'??
cyberdude

Post by cyberdude »

yes.
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Hmm.

Could you please send me a samle document, your .wpp file and the excel spreadsheet?
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

The problem is with the degree symbol. Even Word cannot find this text normally, so we have to use some trickery to make it work.

Use this search text:
Rua Castelo dos Governadores, n*66, 8600-563 Lagos, Portugal

But make sure that the Search Type is set to 'Use Wildcards' - here we use the '*' to match the degree symbol.
cyberdude

Post by cyberdude »

Thanks. That did it.