Secondary Output Filter

Get help with installation and running here.

Moderators: DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators

tahoar

Secondary Output Filter

Post by tahoar »

Currently, I'm using a "Restrict To|Secondary Output|Delete All" comination to branch and send text to an another file, but I want to assign the filename during runtime.

I've tried using two "/mergefile=" switches from a command line and it didn't work. I've also tried using @datetime global variable in the single file output field and that didn't work.

Is it possible to assign a "Single File Output" value to a Secondary Output Filter during runtime or from a command line switch?

The only other option I can think of is to discard the secondary output filter and create a VB Script that sends the output to a file. Would this work from within a Restrict To branch?

Thanks,
Tom
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Re: Secondary Output Filter

Post by DataMystic Support »

Hi Tom,

There are plenty of things you can't do from the command line.

In this case, use File\Export to export the filter to VBScript or JScript, and modify the filename there.

Also, you can't use variables in filenames, although it is a good idea.
tahoar

Post by tahoar »

Thanks for the confirmation. I figured this was the case.

I know command line is limited, but suites 99% of my functionality. I've come up with a way to do what i want.
1) set an environment Variable form the batch command line before starting textpipe.exe
2) use restrict-to to branch isolate desired lines.
3) End the branch with a vbscript filter that reads the environment variable and global variable of the input file/path. It then calculates the appropriate output filename and uses WHS fso to output the lines.

It gives me the functionality I need with a batch file/command line interface.

Thanks again.
Tom
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Post by DataMystic Support »

Thanks Tom,

You can also use a subfilter of the vbscript filter with a Special\Secondary Output filter to send output to a whole new file. It might remove the need for a FileSystemObject.