Network Write Error

Get help with installation and running here.

Moderators: DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators

KBliss

Network Write Error

Post by KBliss »

I am running TextPipePro V8.0.7 on a local PC, accessing/converting files on a network drive. Many of these filters run again multi-Gigabyte sized files and run for extended periods of time. On occasion, I'll get the following error...

Error,The specified network name is no longer available

This happens during the .TMP file creation, yet the filter continues on it's merry way. The final file is created maybe with a dead block of info, maybe not. My network people don't see why this is happening.

Has anyone else run across this? If so, is there a solution? (Other than rerunning the 2 hour job.)
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Re: Network Write Error

Post by DataMystic Support »

Hi Ken,

I don't think it matters if you access the network through a drive letter or a UNC path. I can only think it is some sort of network timeout.

Can you direct output to the local PC? - this will also ensure that the TMP file is written to the local PC which will be faster.
..and then copy the eventual output back to the network?
KBliss

Post by KBliss »

Hi Simon,

Yes, directing the output to a local drive is a possibility I had considered. But, I wanted to see if there was some unknown factor that maybe you or other users had run across before I go that route. :)

Thinking along those lines...since this appears to only happen with the .TMP (due to the longer time window involved), is there a way to have TextPipe write to a different directory for the .TMPs, but still write the final output to the intended directory? I'm sure it could be programmed, but would it be easy enough to implement and not take your time on more important issues? :D

Thanks,
Ken
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Post by DataMystic Support »

Hi Ken,

Except for filters that sort files larger than main memory size, the .tmp file is actually the final output file under another name. It is only renamed as the last step, so it doesn't make sense to store it anywhere other than its final location.
KBliss

Post by KBliss »

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the explanation! You're right, it doesn't make sense to do as I suggested.

Thanks,
Ken