FileWatcher: working with remote folders

Discuss our other products here. Get help with installation and running, notify us of bugs, request new features and enhancements.

Moderators: DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators

KlausSpeierl

FileWatcher: working with remote folders

Post by KlausSpeierl »

Hello together,
I am evaluating the FileWatcher tool and I am thrilled about the features it has.
Now I am trieing to watch a remote folder and I read in the manual, that there might be some specials to do so.
I haven't managed to get the notification from a remote folder if there is a new file created. Doing locally it works.

Could anybody give me a hint. Has anybody already managed to get notified from a remote folder?

Thank in advance for your help!

Klaus
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Re: FileWatcher: working with remote folders

Post by DataMystic Support »

Hi Klaus,

What file system is the remote folder using - NTFS, FAT32...?
KlausSpeierl

Post by KlausSpeierl »

Hi Simon,

the remote file system is NTFS on a 32bit OS Windows 2003 Server - english version.

Regards

Klaus
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Hi Klaus,

If you browse to a folder using Windows Explorer on the local machine, and then go to the Server and add/edit a file, does the local machine reflect the change?
KlausSpeierl

Post by KlausSpeierl »

Hi Simon,

I opened a Windows Expolrer locally and browsed to the foleder on the server (remote server) and kept the explorer opened. Then I went to the server via RDP and added a new file in the specified folder.
Results:
The explorer on the local machine shows the new file without any refresh necessairy
FileWatcher did not recognice the ADD of the file in the watched folder. (I used \\servername\foldename for "Folder to watch" inside the FileWatcher GUI).

Regards
Klaus
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Hi Klaus,

We've researched this and can't find any reason for it, although clearly Explorer is getting notified.

It's possible that this is related to ACLs - security. We're still investigating this one.
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

We've just tested handling of remote files, but it works perfectly here.

Both local and remote are running NTFS, XP SP3.

It also worked both with and without the 'Subfolders' option, although I suspect for better operation with non-NTFS file systems you should uncheck Subfolders.