Can't test a new filter with previous version of TextPipe

Get help with installation and running here.

Moderators: DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators

dfhtextpipe

Can't test a new filter with previous version of TextPipe

Post by dfhtextpipe »

Using TextPipe Standard v8.9, I have just created a new filter.

One thing didn't work as expected, so I uninstalled TextPipe and re-installed v8.8.2

This earlier version will not open the new filter, because it is expecting a different file type (102) rather than 104.

So how can I be expected to help identify whether there is a bug in the new release?

This lack of backwards compatibility is unacceptable, especially as I have not made use of any new features in v8.9

David
David
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Re: Can't test a new filter with previous version of TextPip

Post by DataMystic Support »

Hi David,

We added more Unicode support to the new version, hence the file formats are not compatible. You can use File\Export to generate VBScript/JScript code to generate code to create the new filter in the old version.
dfhtextpipe

Post by dfhtextpipe »

A better solution would be to provide an option in the file Save As dialog to allow users to save a filter in the earlier format.
After all, even Microsoft provides options like this in Office. Would this be too difficult to implement?

Since you launched TextPipe, how many times has the filter format changed (in a backwards incompatible way)?

Regards,

David
David
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Post by DataMystic Support »

Hi David,

We only change the file format when new data is added. Since TextPipe's inception there have been 104 changes to this format.

The plan 2 years ago was to implement an XML based file format - this will be attended to soon as it is really restricting growth.