App screen jumps around or doesn't respond to touch input

Questions and support for the Jade Apps,

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id980437930
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.managebgl.predictbgl2

Please specify if you are using iOS or Android!

Moderators: DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators

khurtwilliams

App screen jumps around or doesn't respond to touch input

Post by khurtwilliams »

The iOS app is quite buggy. It can sometimes take several attempts before data is entered. The screen jumps around or doesn't respond to touch input.
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Re: App screen jumps around or doesn't respond to touch input

Post by DataMystic Support »

Thanks Khurt,

I occasionally have issues with this, but I find that it is due to me not being precise in my taps and the app trying to interpret my tap as a scroll.

Also, I have a screen protector that has the side effect of reducing the sensitivity of the screen. Do you?

Apple has some suggestions: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201406

If the problem persists, please give me an exact screen and an exact series of actions to reproduce the problem, along with your device type and iOS version.
khurtwilliams

Post by khurtwilliams »

I don't use a screen protector. I also handed the iPhone to my wife and other people to use and they gave me the same feedback. For example, I tap the +Add button to start an entry. But ... the screen moves sideways slightly before snapping back to the default page instead of going to the data entry page. My wife spent 10 minutes trying to tap the arrow to get to the protein/fat entry page.

The UI behavior is erratic. I have no problems using other iOS apps and have been an iOS user since 2010. Telling me "I'm doing it wrong", is pretty much calling me an idiot.

Youtube video of app.

https://youtu.be/EdO_4hJghGQ

Another video:

https://youtu.be/zaoAqIqXjJ8
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Thanks Khurt - I appreciate the effort you have gone to to send that to me.

I agree that the secondary carb entry screen is hard to get to. I also agree that the sideways movement can sometimes occur at the wrong time. I just have not seen it happen as badly as on your device, so I am looking for other possibilities (I'm not calling you an idiot).

Sluggish behaviour could be either the phone or the app laden down with data. So,
1. What kind of iphone is it?
2. Are lots of other apps running?
3. Can you close the App and re-start it?
4. Failing that, can you uninstall and re-install it from the appstore? This will wipe any extra data it might have hanging around.
5. I don't know what other apps you have, but we have a phonegap app for portability and testing consistency rather than a native app which would be faster.
khurtwilliams

Post by khurtwilliams »

Sluggish behaviour could be either the phone or the app laden down with data. So,
1. What kind of iphone is it?
2. Are lots of other apps running?
3. Can you close the App and re-start it?
4. Failing that, can you uninstall and re-install it from the appstore? This will wipe any extra data it might have hanging around.
5. I don't know what other apps you have, but we have a phonegap app for portability and testing consistency rather than a native app which would be faster.
  1. It's an 64GB Apple iPhone 6 running iOS 9.1
  2. I'm not sure that makes sense in the context of iOS. Apps are terminated by the OS automatically when not in use.
  3. Again, in the context of iOS the question is meaningless. iOS suspends and then terminates apps when they are not being used. To preserve battery life I have background tasking disabled for the few apps on my iPhone that use it.
  4. Already did that. In fact, I had the iPhone 6 reset to factory hardware defaults -- all apps and iOS data was wiped.
  5. If the current app is build using PhoneGap that may explain the GUI issues. iOS and Android are different beast and app development must be approach differently for each. A native iOS app would perform better and be more consistent with the experience that iOS users expect.
These are the most common problems that an app built on PhoneGap can run into:
  • Mobile apps with numerous graphic elements or animations may slow things down on some mobile devices and make the app browsing experience a little choppy. Even with general apps there is a noticeable lag as most mobile phones are not fast enough to run hybrid apps. Android, especially, with its numerous versions of OS and devices, is a bigger nightmare than usual.
  • The app cannot take the benefit of ALL the features of a phone. And trying to use device features requires a lot of hard work. Also, if you want to build an app for the latest version of any operating system, you need to wait for the PhoneGap update. It is bound to stay one step behind native platforms.
  • The code you write runs everywhere – but you also need to do some coding and tweaking specific to different mobile platforms. This is pretty time consuming. Also, for newbies, fixing (and even identifying) errors can be a huge headache.
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/phonegap/ar ... ssons.html
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Thanks Khurt for your detailed feedback. We're aware of the PhoneGap limitations, but at this stage we are limited by funding and have to absolutely prioritize everything.