255 character limit in WordPipe - WTF?

Discuss WordPipe, ExcelPipe and PowerPointPipe. Get help with installation and running, notify us of bugs, request new features and enhancements.

Moderators: DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators

Linguanet

255 character limit in WordPipe - WTF?

Post by Linguanet »

Hello,
I just downloaded and installed the Lite version of WordPipe. I've now tried my first search and replace operation, but I've received the following error message:
"Search phrase 1 is longer than 255 characters and will not work with Microsoft Word", followed by the text in question.

I'm very surprised and disappointed because according to this announcement, WordPipe can handle strings longer than 255 characters:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=471&p=1213&hilit=255#p1213

This is a critical feature for me, because I have lots of strings that are longer than 255 characters (the longest is about 1050 characters).

Can you please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong?

Many thanks in advance,

Carl
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Re: 255 character limit in WordPipe - WTF?

Post by DataMystic Support »

Hi Carl,

WordPipe allows replacements longer than 255 chars (as the linked article says).

To search for text longer than 255 chars you must use wildcards to replace a chunk of text in the middle of your search string with '*'. Microsoft Word does not provide any other option for us I'm afraid.