DirDate Help, crazy specific issue!

Discuss our other products here. Get help with installation and running, notify us of bugs, request new features and enhancements.

Moderators: DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators

thegreatyashu

DirDate Help, crazy specific issue!

Post by thegreatyashu »

Ok, I have been searching for software that can do this, and maybe DirDate can, but I need help creating the cmd line syntax and such.

I have a directory with over 6,000 folders inside. I need to give each folder a date that roughly matches the files inside. I know that DirDate has a command to do this with a single folder path. One path at a time with over 6000 individual paths would take, literally forever. I need to run it on the main directory so that each sub-directory timestamp matches that of the earliest file contained in that sub-directory. I want to give the 6000 folders new dates that match up with the files they contain.

How would I set this command up? Is this even possible? I have been trying to figure out how to do this for a long time... please help.
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Re: DirDate Help, crazy specific issue!

Post by DataMystic Support »

To set folders in a tree to the date of the oldest/newest file, use:
dirdate -r -diroldest c:\whatever\*.*
or
dirdate -r -dirnewest c:\whatever\*.*
thegreatyashu

Re: DirDate Help, crazy specific issue!

Post by thegreatyashu »

Thankyou, it is so simple it is elegant!

I bought the software and it worked perfectly. This will be a tool I will be sure to keep handy from now on. I have been trying to figure out a good way to do that for a long time.