Inserting hyperlinks to referenced documents with WordPipe

Discuss WordPipe, ExcelPipe and PowerPointPipe. Get help with installation and running, notify us of bugs, request new features and enhancements.

Moderators: DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators, DataMystic Support, Moderators

SMC Peers

Inserting hyperlinks to referenced documents with WordPipe

Post by SMC Peers »

We have a VERY tedious job to do: in many documents, replace plain text document reference numbers (and there are many of these in each document) with a hyperlink to a document with name which is the document reference number.

For example a document refers to many others, in particular to PP-03. I need to make this reference a hyperlink to PP-03.doc.

Can I do this with WordPipe?

(I know WordPipe can do changes to existing hyperlinks - and that there are 3 steps to this -- but here I want to put in new ones...)

Any ideas??? Thanks
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Post by DataMystic Support »

You can possibly do this with field codes turned on, and using widcards, so that you can insert the surrounding text around the found text of PP-03 or whatever.

e.g. search for PP-03
Replace with {link "c:\ \1.doc"}

You will need to lookup the correct field code and format
SMC Peers

Post by SMC Peers »

Thanks, but this doesn't work! I may be misunderstanding your reply though, so let me know if I am missing something.

If the "replace with" field is text, then what gets entered into the document is JUST text, not a field, and it doesn't matter if "view field codes" is on or not - which incidently it is when I've tried this out.

What I think is missing is how to 1. add in the program code into the document and 2. ensure that the {} field markers are interpreted as such and not just as brackets.

NB Just for info, I used the following:

Text to find = DC-???
Replace with = {HYPERLINK "^&"}
Search type = use wildcards
Search location = Body (also tried + inside hyperlinks, but made no difference of course)
Options = inside field codes

I have the feeling that this job is just NOT possible! So would be very grateful if you could tell me otherwise.
SMC Peers

PS to my reply

Post by SMC Peers »

PS
Just to say I was using WordPipe 5.4.7.1 - I am updating my WordPipe right now to check that I am not missing something new and obvious...
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

It looks like you have everything right, so at this stage the only way you can do this is with code. With the full WordPipe we have a MS Word macro that you can tailor for this sort of job.
kracey

Re: Inserting hyperlinks to referenced documents with WordPipe

Post by kracey »

How to create a Single Hyperlink that can open multiple tabs of different URLS? Is this possible? I created a hyperlink in my email signature.When that hyperlink is clicked, I want that hyper link to open up two different websites (URLS) in two different tabs from a browser. Is this possible? if so how do I serperate the tow URLS in the hyperlink? with a semi colon or comma?
external keyword tool
DataMystic Support
Site Admin

Re: Inserting hyperlinks to referenced documents with WordPipe

You cannot open two websites with a single click. You could achieve this with javascript on a website, but email clients do not let you run javascript.